January 25, 2007

BBQ


Also pronounced, baahbeeque. I love to throw a steak on the grill, make some beer chicken, or carne asada. But the art of smoking and slow cooking is beyond my area of expertise. Two of my favorite BBQ’d meats are brisket, which, if done correctly melts in your mouth, and pulled pork. My ex-husband occasionally would reach this goal with his brisket, however not consistently enough. The best pulled pork I have ever eaten is at a place called Port Cape, in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and I can’t get there as often as I like.

Both of these dishes require long hours of smoking and cooking and basting. Not easily done on the home grill. That is why I frequent Canyon City BBQ in Azusa. They have the best pulled pork this side of the Rockies and their brisket is to die for! Not only do they have an extensive and delicious lunch and dinner menu featuring all your BBQ’d favorites, but will cater as well.

My favorite items are the loaded spud. Holy cow! A huge potato (bigger than the ones at Northwood’s Inn) butter, sour cream, cheese, chives, whatever you want except the kitchen sink, plus a large portion of pulled pork, chicken, brisket or tri-tip piled on top; the pulled pork sandwich done traditionally with the slaw on the bun, and of course the brisket. The ribs are delicious too.

They also have a large variety of side dishes, my favorites being the cole slaw and the macaroni salad. I have used Canyon City to cater parties and have been amazed at the amount of food that is delivered!

For lunch today I had the brisket, as usual it was very good. My lunch partner in crime had the Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. WOW. I am not one of those die hard Philly Cheese Steak lovers, but it looked delicious, and fortunately I was offered a bite, and accepted, before she wolfed it all down! So I got to taste the thinly sliced tri-tip with sautéed fresh onion and peppers, and of course the melted cheese, I’m going to order that one next visit. If you are lucky enough to be waited on by Mary Ann (aka Crazy Mary) your BBQ experience will be complete!

Now I have eaten at a lot of BBQ joints in the San Gabriel Valley, Robin’s in Pasadena, professes to be the best around. They got one of those “voted best” awards. Taste of Texas in Covina and Buckboard BBQ in Upland are good too, but they are definitely NOT the best, Canyon City blows their socks off. Plus Canyon City’s owners Don and Lana are just real people, waiting tables, filling your drinks, and making sure we all come back again.

Canyon City BBQ, 375 N. San Gabriel Ave., Azusa 626.815.4227

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best pulled pork I've had was in Pittsburgh.